The beauty industry is as diverse as it is massive. Hundreds of brands from all over the world have flooded the market with tens of thousands of beauty and skincare products. Some of these products were made with your beauty and health in mind, but many were created just to make a quick buck. And when manufacturers place an emphasis on quantity over quality you know that there’s bound to be some products loaded with cheap and harmful ingredients. So before you use any skincare product, check the ingredients label to see if it was made with these chemicals:
1. FD&C Color Pigments – The acronym is for “Food, Drug, and Cosmetics.” While adding these artificial colors will make skincare products pop, they’re not something you want anywhere near your skin. They’re usually made from coal tar and are loaded with heavy metal salts that can cause skin sensitivity and irritation.
2. Hydroquinone – A skin lightener found in whitening creams, this skin-bleaching chemical has had its safety called into question. In addition to its alleged carcinogenic effects, hydroquinone is believed to cause ochronosis, a skin disease marked by bluish black discolorations.
3. Imidazolidinyl urea – A preservative in the same vein as parabens, imidazolidinyl urea has also been linked to numerous health problems, with skin irritation and allergic contact dermatitis being the most known. Be wary of any skincare products bearing the ingredients “Germall II” or “Germall 115” as imidazolidinyl urea sometimes uses these trade names.
4. Mineral oil – This low-cost, zero-nutrition oil is used as a filler and to give skincare products a moisturizing effect. Coating your skin with something made with mineral oil, however, will clog your pores and prevent the skin from eliminating toxins. When toxins build up under your skin, you become more prone to acne and other skin conditions.
5. Parabens – These preservatives keep your skincare products free of mold and bacteria. Though the idea behind parabens is a solid one, they’ve been linked to developmental and reproductive disorders, endocrine system disruption, and even the heightened risk of breast cancer. Be on the look-out for ingredients containing the “-paraben” suffix on the ingredients label, such as isobytlparaben, butylparaben, and methylparaben.
6. Polyethylene glycol (PEG) – This thickener is a worrisome ingredient largely because of the manufacturing process. Polyethylene glycol can become contaminated with the compound 1,4-dioxane, a human carcinogen that’s known to cause cancer and birth defects.
7. Retinyl palmitate – This form of vitamin A can be found in sun-protecting and anti-aging products. Though intended to be used under the sun, retinyl palmitate can actually speed up cancerous tumor growth when it comes into contact with sunlight.
8. Sodium lauryl sulfate – If a product foams, it’s got this chemical. The list of detrimental health effects associated with sodium lauryl sulfate include skin irritation, eye damage, canker sores, and diarrhea. In the most extreme cases, sodium lauryl sulfate can interact with other chemicals to form carcinogenic nitrosamines.
9. Synthetic fragrances – Just because a product smells good doesn’t mean it is good. Synthetic fragrances are considered to be one of the top allergens in beauty and skincare products. When you take into account the fact that the majority of synthetic fragrances are derived from petrochemicals then this shouldn’t really come as a surprise.
10. Triethanolamine – This chemical serves as both a cleansing base and as a balancing agent for pH levels. Short-term exposure to triethanolamine can result in allergic reactions, eye problems, and dry skin; long-term exposure, meanwhile, can cause respiratory and immune system damage.
Any products with these toxic ingredients should be cut out of your skincare routine straight away. Choose organic skincare options instead.
Two excellent products to consider for your daily regimen are Health Ranger Select Organic Eye Lifting Serum and Health Ranger Organic Radiance Facial Serum. Like their names imply, these are formulated with completely natural ingredients.